Old July 7th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default has anyone booked a cab online?

Ian F. wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...

Sarf o' the river, this time o' night? Nah, mate...

A few years ago, I'm standing in Shaftesbury Avenue at night, waiting for
a cab. Black cab comes along with no light on, but pulls up to me.

Cabbie: "I'm going home, mate."
Ian: "Where do you live?"
Cabbie: (thinks) "Er...Clapham."
Ian: "Great. I live in Balham!"
Cabbie: "Jump in."

One mile later...

Cabbie: "I had you down as a Jewish guy, like me. Thought you'd say you
lived in Hampstead or Golders Green or somewhere."
Ian: "I am Jewish, but I live in Balham."
Cabbie: "Serves me right, I suppose!"

It's a funny story, but I don't understand why he'd stop and offer if he
didn't want to give you a lift.