Old July 8th 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Phil Clark Phil Clark is offline

Default St Johns Wood or St John's Wood?

On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:02:18 +0200, Giovanni Drogo
wrote:

Is panini already a plural word ?
Yes, the singular is panino.

As well as "salame" is the singular of "salami" ...

... as native italian improper usage of the plural form sounds to me at
least funny when not irritating ...

I tend to disagree. What is plural in one language can very well become
singular in another language. Whether it was plural in the original
lanuage does not matter very much.

I tend to disagree with the latter statement as a matter of principle,
although it might be correct as an observation of actual usage.

I tend to think that if panini is going to be used as a singular, it
should be one of those words that is always plural, like trousers. So
one panini, two panini.