Old July 10th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster deposit

asdf wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:00:14 +0100, Dave Newt wrote:

If someone returns a card once after they have finished with it, LUL
lose £3 + cost of card.

They don't lose £3 - they only have to return the £3 if it was
deposited in the first place. I also wouldn't be surprised if they
re-use the cards, if they're in good condition.

To be clear the deposit is currently waived if you're buying a weekly
or longer pass to be loaded onto the Oyster card - as asdf says, the
deposit is only returned if it was paid by the passenger in the first
place when they obtained the card.

I've used the waiver to obtain a couple of extra (unregistered) Oyster
cards - i.e. I've had a new Oyster card when I've bought my weekly
Travelcard instead of using my existing one. I'm not doing this just be
be profligately wasteful - it's handy having a few extra Oyster cards
around so I can lend them to visitors, thus enabling them to take
advantage of lower Pre-Pay fares. And if they lose or it or want to
keep it, fine, I've not lost anything!