Old July 10th 06, 08:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
[email protected] patrick1971@gmail.com is offline

Default North Greenwich and the naming of stations (was London Terminals and Thameslink)

Dave Arquati wrote:
asdf wrote:
IIRC only a relatively short length of tunnel would be required to
link the eastern ends of the platforms at Euston Square with Euston.
(Little chance of it ever happening, though.)

Quite the opposite actually - it's explicitly mentioned as a possible
outcome of the redevelopment of the mainline and Tube stations. See
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/125 and the links from there.

Just had a look at the architect drawings. It seems to me that there's
a real risk of repeating, fifty years on, the destruction of a landmark
building. The current Euston Station is, IMHO, a masterpiece of that
period's architecture. The drawings don't make it clear how much of
the existing building will be retained, but it certainly looks as if
it's going to be messed around with.

The previous Euston Station was demolished when its style was out of
fashion, and much regretted later. I think it's quite possible that
the same thing will happen again; we're just getting to a point where
buildings from that period are beginning to be appreciated, and it'd be
a shame to repeat the mistake.

Patrick