Old July 10th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL Route 395

In article . com,
() wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
There are width restrictions at both entrances [to the
Rotherhithe Tunnel].
There are also very tight clearances where there the tunnel
changes direction.

This is something that's always puzzled me - why does the
Rotherhithe Tunnel change direction? Surely, when it was being built,
it would have been cheaper and easier to just go in a straight line?
Yet it twists and turns constantly.

I thought there were just two turns, from the approaches that are
closely parallel to the river to and from the stretch under the river.

--
Colin Rosenstiel