Old July 10th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default North Greenwich and the naming of stations (was London Terminals and Thameslink)

In message , Phil Clark
writes

I used to work on North Gower Street (yes we called the location
"Euston") and always wondered why Euston Square station not only was
not on Euston Square, which is by the mainline station, but had never
been connected up underground with either Euston or Warren Street
underground stations to form a proper interchange.

Although I think the main reason for the southerly position of Euston
Square station was the need to keep the original line beneath the "New
Road", I have often wondered whether the close association of the
Metropolitan with the GWR made it less inclined to go out of its way to
offer easy interchange with the "Birmingham Railway" at a time when the
GWR had its own route to Birmingham (I've not checked dates against a
contemporary Bradshaw, but I *think* that could be an issue).
--
Paul Terry