Old July 12th 06, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default KXSP question

Stevie wrote:
http://www.londontravelwatch.org.uk/...nt.php?id=2305

For many people on average generally use a zone 1 tube station exit
during peak times?
In the Travelwatch report, they say that during the morning peak there
were 1987 passengers using this exit and 1777 using it as an entrance
in the evening peak (page 6). To me, this doesn't seem that many
people for such a busy station.

Annual usage of KXSP is 77 million. 5,500 entries and exits a day at
peak time plus however many off-peak isn't a *massive* proportion of
this (3-5% depending on weekend and off-peak usage), but it will take
some of the strain.

5,500 peak entries/exits a day puts KX Pentonville Road equivalent to
somewhere like Mornington Crescent or Caledonian Road (depending on the
precise assumptions you make about off-peak traffic. The Pentonville
Road weekday peak-only traffic works out as about half of either
station's total traffic...)

Also, they don't say in the report if
these are people just exiting the LU bit at KCSP or if they're people
exiting the LU AND definately leaving Pentonville Road. If it's just
people leaving the LU bit, then it's likely that a large proportion of
them are just changing to/from Thameslink.

The report states "counts of passengers who use the subway [to
Pentonville Road] to exit/enter the Underground to/from the street" -
ie it doesn't include people interchanging to Thameslink. It would be
interesting to see how they determined this...

Have they started fitting out the Midland Road box yet? I went through
it in May and didn't spot any changes.

I saw orange-vested people while passing through it in May. I think the
tracks are now hoarded off from the rest of the site, which will make
things harder to see. According to the ever-reliable (cough) Wiki, work
starts "this summer" - it would be interesting to hear from anyone
involved whether they've kicked off yet...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org