Old July 12th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Traffic from M4 to London City Airport?

In message , AstraVanMan
writes
"Mike Hughes" wrote:
I would do the M40/A40 rather than the M4. The M4 leaving London is
pretty good but in the opposite direction you've got the dreaded bus
lane

Best thing since sliced bread - for us taxi drivers! ;-)))

Try this for a route

Spur Road

You're assuming the journey starts at Heathrow? It doesn't, but
anyway....

M4 East
leave by J3 (next one along)
N on A312 follow until you get to
A40 then all the way through to Euston Rd,
Pentonville Road
City Road
L at Old St Roundabout
Bear right Great Eastern St
Forward Commercial Street
Aldgate one way
then follow signs for A13.
You then get the choice of staying on East India Dock Road or going

via
Lime House linkway until you get to roundabout for City airport

(where
you cross the meridian from W to E) and just follow signs.

Ok, well having just ridiculed using the Northern section of the inner
ring road, if a cabbie's recommending it I might have to eat my words!
So is it likely to be a pretty clear run around 5pm on a Sunday, all the
way from Marylebone to Whitechapel, then?

Depends. So9metimes it can be very easy, other times it is very busy. It
all depends upon what is happening with road works. Again I have the
advantage of being able to use the bus lanes.

Of course if you really knew London you'd go straight through via the

M4
then Cromwell Road, etc to get to Victoria Embankment from Trafalgar
Square but you must be prepared to make diversions if there are
demonstrations or other diversions (strangely enough one of the
straightest routes takes you over Lambeth Bridge and then via the
Rotherhithe Tunnel, but you really must know London for that!)

Heh. Well I'm advising someone who doesn't know London all that well,
so a relatively simple route's going to be the best. Personally I'd
probably do the Lambeth Bridge route, either coming in via
A316/Barnes/Mortlake/Putney/Wandsworth, and crossing the river at Albert
Bridge, or just simply M4/A4, going through Beauchamp Place/Belgrave
Square, and cutting through Carlisle Place etc to end up on Horseferry
Road (used this loads of time and it's a bit windy but usually pretty
easy), but I wouldn't want to advise someone with virtually no London
knowledge to do this!

Your route is another good one, but as I said you really must know
London reasonably well (for a non taxi driver that is) in case you have
to divert.

--
"For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England