Old July 13th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Tran David Tran is offline

Default London Underground routes finder and plotter

Richard J. wrote:
David Tran wrote:

David Tran wrote:

Hi all

I have incorporated a London Tube Map into my website for plotting
routes around London's underground network, as people keep saying
to me TfL can do it better. Well, I don't see the TfL route
planner showing the routes on a map :-)

Seriously though, I do not have access to the timetable etc., so
will not be able to tell you the best times to travel, but if you
want to see all the alternatives to get from A to B, so in case a
certain route is not available (like the Waterloo and City line
currently), then my utility will help (and the visual aspect
should be a bonus too). You will be shown each route as a list of
stations on the left hand
side, and also as a series of green dots along the traversed
lines, with the source and destination stations marked by map
pins. If you hover over each green dot, the name of the station
will be displayed. I am trying to add some points of interest along
each route, but
it is an ongoing project. If you know of any, do let me know.

The URL is http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. As usual, all
feedbacks welcome (please use the MessageBoard provided, or mail
me). David

Hi

I just like to leave a message for Richard J, who made a comment
about the route from Marylebone to Turnham Green. I understand you
are not happy with the accuracy of this particular route, but it
was contributed by an anonymous user, and it would be wrong of me
to remove it as you suggested.

The route suggests Bakerloo Marylebone-Edgware Road, then walk to the
other Edgware Road and catch a District Line train to Ealing Broadway.
Ignoring the issue of whether the walk between the two Edgware Road
stations is preferable to a change at Paddington, the FACT is that
except possibly for a few workings, there are generally no direct trains
from Edgware Road to Ealing Broadway. Therefore, suggesting a route
which involves waiting at Edgware Road for an Ealing Broadway train is
WRONG. You can check this yourself on the TfL Journey Planner by asking
for a route from ER to EB and seeing how many direct trains it manages
to offer. Relying on voting to establish that this route as described
is "unpopular" (rather than downright wrong) is in my view a misuse of
democracy.

I am not the editor, and I am not in a position to judge how accurate
a route is, so if you know that this route is not correct,
you could always force it down the popularity list.

You mean I can continually vote against it so that it collects hundreds
of negative votes? So it's not even democratic! But it's already at
the bottom of the popularity list of 3 routes, assuming that the routes
are listed in that order, and there are no voting numbers as far as I
can see. So just how am I supposed to know that it's not just 3rd out
of 3, but highly misleading?

I am trying to be just a provider of a service, and not be
responsible for the contents, unless they are offensive to others.

In that case the site is anarchic and has no value IMHO. I am tempted
to propose Marylebone-Oxford Circus, then the Central Line to Turnham
Green. Well, it was a proposed extension in 1928! And you wouldn't
remove it in the name of democracy? Daft!

Well OK I will need to take this offline in the next message, but just
like to say here that to point out a problem without a proposed solution
is only half useful.

How do you suggest I should solve this problem of providing useful info
to everybody ? the calculated routes sometimes get it wrong because they
do not know about certain stations which are quicker to walk. I provide
people with a facility to suggest route, but this only works if people
makes sensible suggestions. To go in and zap every route I do not like
is simply not the solution either. Please be constructive in your next
message.

By the way, there is spamguard in place, so if you keep clicking on a
vote for or against, only the first will register :-)

David