Old July 14th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default London Underground routes finder and plotter

David Tran wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
David Tran wrote:

I am not the editor, and I am not in a position to judge how
accurate a route is, so if you know that this route is not
correct, you could always force it down the popularity list.

Since you allow each user only one negative vote, that is not a
practical way of dealing effectively with an incorrect route.

[...]
I am trying to be just a provider of a service, and not be
responsible for the contents, unless they are offensive to others.

In that case the site is anarchic and has no value IMHO. I am
tempted to propose Marylebone-Oxford Circus, then the Central Line
to Turnham Green. Well, it was a proposed extension in 1928! And
you wouldn't remove it in the name of democracy? Daft!

Well OK I will need to take this offline in the next message, but
just like to say here that to point out a problem without a
proposed solution is only half useful.

OK, I'll refund half of what you paid me for the advice. :-)

How do you suggest I should solve this problem of providing useful
info to everybody ? the calculated routes sometimes get it wrong
because they do not know about certain stations which are quicker
to walk. I provide people with a facility to suggest route, but
this only works if people makes sensible suggestions. To go in and
zap every route I do not like is simply not the solution either.

You could provide a feedback facility linked to each suggested route, a
sort of "Click here if you think this route is incorrect/stupid"
facility that produces a message form. If you get 3 or more saying that
a route is wrong, remove it. It's crude, but better than the current
system.

--
Richard J.