Old July 14th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David Tran David Tran is offline

Default London Underground routes finder and plotter

John B wrote:
Peter Goodland wrote:

The URL is http://public.ok2life.com/tube/routes. As usual, all feedbacks
welcome (please use the MessageBoard provided, or mail me).

David

If I ask for a route from King's Cross St. Pancras to Paddington,
it suggests that I change at Euston Square, *and* this is the most popular
route.

This seems to be because the website has decided only to display one of
the many possible six-stops-along-the-SSL-with-n-changes routes to
Paddington (a good thing), but the one that it's decided to display is
H&C from KXSP to Euston Square and then Circle from Euston Square to
Paddington (a bad thing).

Since the direct Circle to Paddington route is not shown, everyone has
voted for the displayed route because it's the least bad on offer (and
hopefully anyone taking it will notice that they don't in fact need to
change at Euston Square...).

Perhaps the routing engine ought to prioritise direct journeys as well
as prioritising fewer stops...?

Hi all

Currently the engine automatically bubbles up the route with least
interchanges and least stops to the top, but this is because it does not
have access to information like shorcuts or time of the day etc.
Hopefully I will be able to improve it as I go along. Thanks for all
your valuable feedbacks.

David