Old July 18th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Solario Solario is offline

Default Mixed bag for transport schemes - Watford Junction Redevelopment & Croxley Link

burkey wrote:
However, the Croxley Rail Link, a plan to extend the Metropolitan Line
to Watford Junction, has yet to meet the appropriate conditions for
approval.

The DfT has said that it anticipates the scheme will be approved within
the next ten years but that it will need close scrutiny in terms of
value for money. It would take at least £50m to realise the proposed
extension.

(snip)

If our beloved politicians cannot deal with a simple project like the
Croxley Link,

As I understand it, they have *dealt* with it, by declining it as it
has yet to meet the appropriate conditions for approval.

that gives enormous benefits for little outlay,

Define 'enormous' and 'little' (£50m), and compare and contrast with
other projects.

Nothing is inexpensive these days. I refer you to Mr. Ford's
references to "Boiling Frogs".

All such projects are assessed for costs and benefits. Any idea what
the CBA is for this project and why it doesn't meet the criteria?

No, and I don't know the criterea these guys utilize. How does one
quantify the benefits of reconnecting all Metroland to the main line?

what hope is there for the UK's transportation infrastructure?

I suspect that the next spending review will allocate more to transport
(though not that much more).

However I'm not sure that infrastructure will benefit, rather more
revenue subsidy will go to bus.

Subsidies are always with use. New infrastrucure is a one time
expense, sort of.

I'd guess there will be some money in there for growth. Which projects
get that will be the key, but projects in the various RUS will get
what's going.

This is very disappointing.

Agreed

PH