Old July 22nd 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Edith Stephenson Helen Edith Stephenson is offline

Default Woolwich Ferry question

In article , Tom
Anderson writes
On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Helen Edith Stephenson wrote:

It seems that every year, about this time of the year, the Woolwich
Ferry visits the Upper Pool of London. Here are this year's Tower Bridge
lift times:

Sat 22 Jul 16:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sat 22 Jul 17:00 Woolwich Ferry Down
Sun 23 Jul 18:30 Woolwich Ferry Up
Sun 23 Jul 19:00 Woolwich Ferry Down

Does anyone here know why the Woolwich Ferry ventures so far upriver?

Only one way to find out. I'd go and follow it myself, but i'll be away
that weekend. So, anyone else here able to spare a couple of hours down at
the Tower on a summer saturday?

tom

Well it wasn't that sunny a summer Saturday, but at least the
thunderstorm went away by about 4pm and the Woolwich Ferry wasn't due
until 4:30pm and ended up running 15 minutes late...

I saw "John Burns" pass through Tower Bridge, amid much blowing not only
of her (or should that be his?) horn, but with "Dixie Queen" joining in
and cycling through the three tones she can play on her horns.

"John Burns" sailed up as far as London Bridge, and when the river was
clear of other river traffic, (s)he performed pirouettes in her own
length.

I didn't see the Tower Bridge lift when "John Burns" departed as I was
too far upstream opposite HMS Belfast.

Helen

Helen Edith Stephenson helen at baronmoss dot demon dot co dot uk
--
(I'm sure you can figure out what I mean!)
http://www.wuronga.me.uk/helen/