Old July 23rd 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Emergency STW demo in London tomorrow

MIG wrote:
Apparently there's a country in the Middle East with stockpiles of
weapons of mass destruction and the means to deliver them, is in
violation of sixty or seventy UN resolutions, has a history of
aggression against its neighbours, denies human rights to people in
territories it is illegally occupying and is currently carrying out a
huge collective punishment, outlawed after the second world war (when
similar things were often done on a smaller scale by a party whose name
would result in this message being moderated away).

Goodwins

I don't know much about their railway system.

Bringing it slightly back on topic, Israel is unusual in that it has no
international rail connections. I'm not sure any other non-island
country has such a situation. There are plans to expand the network,
but not to other countries as I'm aware. Given the siege situation
Israel has been in since it's creation and the resulting invasion of
surrounding countries, it's unsurprising.

Lines are arranged arround Tel Aviv, with all routes passing through
the city, but it's worth remembering most of the country (certainly the
central part where the population and railways are concentrated) is
only a few miles wide.

Security on the railway is at a higher level than that UK security,
there were worries after July 7th last year that London would follow a
similar restrictive reigime, reducing the attractivness of our
transport network, and therefore increasing congestion. Fortunatly
that's not happened yet.