Old July 24th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] lukeross@gmail.com is offline

Default bus transfers and weekend travelcards

Hi,

Rick wrote:

Two "silly" questions from a visitor:

Whatever happened to the Weekend Travelcard? On a previous visit
(sometime between 1985 and roughly 2000, I recall there being a Weekend
Travelcard that you could buy on Saturday which would cover both
Saturday and Sunday. Or on a holiday weekend, it would cover all 3
days for the price of two. It was very convenient especially when
staying a bus ride away from the Underground.

Sadly the weekend travelcard was discontinued, I believe because of the
introduction of Oyster card - I used to find them rather handy so have
previously asked what happened to them. There isn't any free bus
transfer either.

If you're staying for a weekend and expect to do a lot of travelling,
pick up a pre-pay Oystercard. You can get one for a £3 deposit
(refundable). Whilst some tickets may tell you otherwise, you don't
have to register - they should be able to issue one for a few quid.

Once you've got one, it'll deduct fares for all your tube and bus
journeys (discounted from the standard rate) and if you spend enough in
a day it will be "capped" and no more money will be deducted. The
capping rates are lower than the cost of a day travelcard. When you've
finished travelling, you should be able to give back the card to
reclaim your deposit.

The major exception is if you plan to travel by mainline rail, as
pre-pay Oyster isn't yet accepted. If you need to use national rail,
it's better to buy paper one-day travelcards as these cover bus, tube,
tram, light rail and national rail.

Hope that helps,

Luke