Old July 25th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default "This train is being held here awaiting signal clearance"

wrote:
I've noticed this message being announced a lot in the last couple of
months or so whenever a train is stationary for more than a couple of
minutes (both on South Eastern and SWT). I know it's good that they
have instructed drivers to communicate with passengers, but surely this
doesn't actually tell anyone anything? The real question is why the
signal is red despite the train being on time (e.g. late train on other
branch, etc.).

Still, as the average train traveller probably barely knows signals
exist, judging by the generally unaware behaviour of many of my fellow
passengers*, maybe this is providing useful information after all...

True. I regularly travel along the Cotswold line (Oxford - Worcester)
which has many single-track sections, but most passengers have no idea
that these exist, and are left wondering why the train has been stopped
for ten minutes in the middle of nowhere. Of course, they shouldn't be
expected to know that there are single track sections - but the train
manager should know that they don't know, and should make an
announcement to explain the delay!

Patrick

* My personal favourite being loud platform announcement "This train is
going to CHARING CROSS", combined with in-train sign "CHARING CROSS",
plus in-train announcement "This train is going to CHARING CROSS",
followed by passenger asking of fellow passengers, "Is this train going
to Charing Cross?".

Probably a symptom of the number of announcements that a passenger hears
on an average journey - there are so many that the mind blocks them out
as a matter of habit!

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7