Old July 26th 06, 12:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Newt Dave Newt is offline

Default "This train is being held here awaiting signal clearance"

wrote:
I've noticed this message being announced a lot in the last couple of
months or so whenever a train is stationary for more than a couple of
minutes (both on South Eastern and SWT). I know it's good that they
have instructed drivers to communicate with passengers, but surely this
doesn't actually tell anyone anything? The real question is why the
signal is red despite the train being on time (e.g. late train on other
branch, etc.).

With all the news stories about SPADs, I can see how, when the drivers
don't have any further info, that saying "I'm not moving cos there is a
red light" probably does make passengers moan a bit less, since it
implies the driver adding "and you wouldn't want me to drive through one
of those, would you?"

(I'm serious - it probably does have a positive psychological effect
that people feel they at least have some understanding of why they train
isn't moving.)