Old July 28th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle
registration, and wants a private bill put through Parliament to achieve
this.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I disagree with the guy
from British Cycling who says a "tiny minority of cyclists" are flouting
road regulations - in my reasonably frequent cycling experience, I
reckon about half of cyclists go past me through red lights, and as a
pedestrian I come across people cycling on non-shared-use pavements
nearly every day.

On the other hand, I agree with the RAC guy who says we need to
encourage cycling rather than putting people off. I'm inclined to
believe that the benefits of registration (easier enforcement, less
anti-social cycling) would be outweighed by the disbenefits (people put
off cycling because of the hassle factor).

Then again, we've had this discussion on u.t.l many times before.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7