Old July 28th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bike number plates mooted

In article , (Dave
Arquati) wrote:

Apparently, the Mayor is now in favour of bike user/vehicle
registration, and wants a private bill put through Parliament to
achieve this.

I definitely have mixed feelings about this. I disagree with the
guy from British Cycling who says a "tiny minority of cyclists" are
flouting road regulations - in my reasonably frequent cycling
experience, I reckon about half of cyclists go past me through red
lights, and as a pedestrian I come across people cycling on
non-shared-use pavements nearly every day.

On the other hand, I agree with the RAC guy who says we need to
encourage cycling rather than putting people off. I'm inclined to
believe that the benefits of registration (easier enforcement, less
anti-social cycling) would be outweighed by the disbenefits (people
put off cycling because of the hassle factor).

Then again, we've had this discussion on u.t.l many times before.

This is totally Dagenham (several stops beyond Barking) is if not
Upminster. It's also Ken reverting to New Labour control freakery to a
degree I didn't believe him capable of. He *has* changed since he was
first elected!

It would decimate cycling in London, not to mention making life
impossible for cyclists like me who bring their bikes in on the train
from Cambridge. We certainly won't be doing anything so dotty in
Cambridge because we actually know we have to promote sustainable
transport. The alternative is total gridlock.

--
Colin Rosenstiel