Old July 28th 06, 11:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

This is totally Dagenham (several stops beyond Barking) is if not
Upminster. It's also Ken reverting to New Labour control freakery to a
degree I didn't believe him capable of. He *has* changed since he was
first elected!

It would decimate cycling in London, not to mention making life
impossible for cyclists like me who bring their bikes in on the train
from Cambridge. We certainly won't be doing anything so dotty in
Cambridge because we actually know we have to promote sustainable
transport. The alternative is total gridlock.

Well said, Colin. It would also be entirely impractical unless it were a
national implementation. For example, how would they be able to regulate
those of us who (like yourself) take a bike on the train into London but
then cycle from one terminus to another before heading out of London to our
destination (in my case, in from Metroland and out of King's Cross to
Peterborough - perhaps Ken would prefer me to clog up the Metropolitan line
by taking my bike right through to KX, in order to avoid the need to license
it?).