Old July 29th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Jack Taylor wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't
count towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this
change too.

So how would that apply to those of us who don't have, never have had
and never intend to have a full driving licence?

If you haven't got a driving licence, you can't get points on it - although
maybe the law might be framed such that if you subsequently got a driving
licence within the time that the points would have appeared on a licence (if
you'd had one), the licence would be issued with those points already
applied to it ;-)

Maybe one day, if bike number-plates ever become law, the next discussion
might be about requiring a driving licence to ride a bike on the road, with
points applied to it for offences committed either while riding a bike or
driving a car. But let's overcome one hurdle at a time!

It pains me to see cyclists get away with committing offences for which car
drivers would be punished, and the comparatively small number of bad
cyclists blackening the name of all other cyclists (like me) who abide by
the same rules and "drive" to the same standard when cycling as when
driving - including stopping at every red traffic light and occupied zebra
crossing, and not overtaking cars on the left in a queue of traffic
especially approaching a left turn.