Old July 29th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Boltar wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:
Why. If there was a political will, it would happen. I don't know
why it wasn't enacted several decades ago: any vehicle on the road
needs to obey the Highway Code and needs to be identifiable if it
fails to do so.

As a cyclist (as well as a car driver) I'd wholeheartedly support a
national bicycle registration scheme with a requirement to display
clearly-identifiable number plates front and back that could be read
by police or traffic-light cameras. It's rare to see cars go through
red

I think you might find yourself in the minority there. You can just
imagine
some bored plod or traffic warden giving some poor cyclist a ticket
for some minor infraction just as happens with cars today. Can't see
cycling
lasting long if that happens.

Oh I'm used to being in the minority.

they can :-( Likewise for cyclists who drive full-tilt at zebra
crossings with loads of people on, scattering them in their wake - I
saw this in

And you think license plates would stop this? You think these people
would
even bother to register? Whats to stop people who don't? How will the
police
catch them if they head off down an alleyway, call in the helicopter?
Be realistic. Theres a simple way of dealing with idiots like that
because I've
done it. I was crossing a pedestrian crossing about 6 months back on a
green man
and saw a courier cyclist heading across my path but I just carried on
walking whereas
she presumably expected me to stop. I made sure she clipped me and
she

was sent flying badly grazing her arms. Tough.

I believe that road traffic offences committed while cycling don't
count towards penalty points on a car licence: I'd like to see this
change too.

Don't be an ass. A lot of people cycle because they don't drive.

B2003