Old July 29th 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Martin Underwood wrote:

It pains me to see cyclists get away with committing offences for
which car drivers would be punished, and the comparatively small
number of bad cyclists blackening the name of all other cyclists
(like me) who abide by the same rules and "drive" to the same
standard when cycling as when driving - including stopping at every
red traffic light and occupied zebra crossing, and not overtaking
cars on the left in a queue of traffic especially approaching a left
turn.

I agree with you 150% - but then, even in my 40s, I must be regarded as "old
school". I try and follow the same rules cycling as I would if I were
driving, I respect crossings and traffic lights, don't overtake on the
inside, when there is other traffic around I indicate (to avoid any
confusion), I carry lights and a fluorescent vest, take heed of one-way
regulations etc etc ad infinitum.

There are a couple of areas where I'm possibly not "to the letter". On
pathways (as distinct from a footpath adjoining a road) I will sometimes
cycle but, if approaching a pedestrian, I slow down until I am certain that
they are aware of my presence (especially when approaching from behind -
I'll wait for them however long it takes). This, despite what it says in the
Highway Code, is a grey area now, with many police forces even (in my
opinion, wrongly) encouraging cyclists to use the footpath for *their* own
safety, even when it's alongside a road. As a pedestrian I know what it's
like when a cycle suddenly hurtles past you from behind, at speed. My other
transgression is that, if I'm approaching a roundabout or corner intending
to turn right, I will normally centre myself in the marked approach lane,
rather than keep strictly left, purely for my own safety - from past
experience too many motorists force their way past and it can be
intimidating and dangerous.

We are actually promoting cycling here in a major way in the next few years
and I am very seriously considering becoming a registered cycle trainer.
Most cyclists behave in a stupid manner simply because nobody has explained
to them (and they have not thought about) the dangers of being on the road,
to both themselves and pedestrians. It's a shame that there is no longer an
effective (preferably compulsory) basic proficiency test for cyclists. In my
day it was carried out on a painted route on a school playground and the
principles of it have always been firmly embedded in my mind when I'm out on
the open road. It's time that it was taken more seriously again. Even if a
licence is not made nationally compulsory there should be a requirement to
hold some form of certificate of competence (perhaps a three level one -
bronze, silver or gold, to represent basic, intermediate or advanced levels,
with the basic level being compulsory and the others optional).