Old July 30th 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bike number plates mooted

In article . com,
() wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article . com,
(Neillw001) wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote:

[Ken's bike lunacy]

It would be totally impractical to enforce, just how many
bicycles are there in the London area that would be affected?
Anyone can buy a bicycle from anywhere without need to register
it. It would require an Act of Parliament to make it legal and
such a thing would never be passed.

Ken is talking of a Private Bill, something London has every
year. But it could well fall foul of the Parliamentary procedures
because of its effect on people outside London.

Colin, I understand what you say about impracticality of "local"
legally-enforced bike registration; i.e. it would have to be
national or nothing.

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was
for failing to register and/or display one's number.

The system exists but it seems to be more use for recovering stolen
bikes than anything else. The numbers are not remotely visible on CCTV
either.

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor
vehicle in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

It seems to me that fewer students cycle these days despite motor
controls which continue as strongly as ever, now backed by the Planning
Authority and applied to ARU and private education-linked housing too.

--
Colin Rosenstiel