Old July 30th 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Martin Underwood wrote:
Boltar wrote in message
If you say they are then perhaps we should call push scooters and
skateboards
vehicles too? No? Why not?

As soon as a vehicle uses the road, it becomes a road vehicle for the time
that it is on the road.

Well I don't consider a bicycle a vehicle. IMO a vehicle is something
that is
self propelled. A bicycle does not fall into this category any more
than
roller skates do. If you wish to take the line that *anything* on the
road
should be licensed then I await the fun and games when pedestrians have

to hang a license plate around their necks when they cross the road and

horses have to have one tied to their tails.

Don't be an ass. A lot of people cycle because they don't drive.

And they shouldn't have points on their non-existent licence, although such
points should be held in reserve in case the person gets a licence later
(within the validity period of the points). But if they *do* have a licence,
cycling offences (on the road) should constitue endorsable points on it.

Aside from the fact that this is not going to be the slightest
deterrent to
a cyclist who has no intention of ever getting a car license all they'd
have to do would be to get a license based on a different address if
they did want to get an unendorsed license. Unless you want to link it
to NI or similar in which case its hello George Orwell.

B2003