Old July 30th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

On 29 Jul 2006 04:08:49 -0700, "
wrote:

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was for
failing to register and/or display one's number.

Yes it does (I'm told), and I've no idea what the penalty is, or even
if the situation ever arises.

In My Day, the only practical use of the numbers seemed to be for
returning stolen/lost/abandoned/homeless bikes. Most people applied
them with Tippex or similar, so this probably isn't what the Mayor had
in mind.

Someone I knew at Cambridge got sent a police(?) letter regarding a
fine for cycling without lights, and made an official declaration that
he knew nothing about it all - he reckons a foreign student we knew
who was a bit of a prat must have been stopped and then given his
name, just before going home!

Moreover, all resident Members of the University were required to
obtain the Motor Proctor's written consent before having motor vehicle
in the City. I wonder whether that still applies.?

Yes.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK