Old July 30th 06, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Tube quiz name game

On 30 Jul 2006 21:02:17 GMT, Iain wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

One comment I would make is that it took about ten attempts to enter
the correct name for Heathrow T123 as there is obviously no tolerance
around getting it precisely right. The same applies to Kings Cross
which has to have St Pancras added. More bizarrely if you attempt to
correct punctuate your entry for places like St John's Wood that
would be rejected even though the programme correctly punctuates it
on the map!

The code I've written makes it possible to have multiple correct entries
for each station. In some places I've done that to try to catch common
punctuation problems (eg "St. Paul's" and "St Pauls" are equally valid).
You're right about St. John's Wood though, I managed to miss the correct
version out of the synonyms list. I'm open to any suggestions for all
stations, although I dare say that for every person who'd like "King's
Cross" admitted there'll be someone else who swears blind that the only
valid name for the station is "King's Cross St. Pancras".

I cannot think of the last time that anyone I know or have heard in
conversation or who asked me directions ever used the full name. People
just call it Kings Cross - after the area.

Once there people may ask the way to St Pancras station.
--
Paul C