Old July 30th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 20:20:27 +0100, "David Biddulph"
wrote:

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Jul 2006 04:08:49 -0700, "
wrote:

But, does Cambridge University not still have a mandatory College
resistration system for students' bicycles? I remember my number -
Q283, from all those years ago! I'm not sure what the sanction was for
failing to register and/or display one's number.

Yes it does (I'm told), and I've no idea what the penalty is, or even
if the situation ever arises.

In my day the fine for most offences was six shillings and eight pence.
More severe offences warranted thirteen shillings and four pence.

It probably still is!

A sign once went up warning us of a GBP25 fine for removing books from
the college library without signing them out. Someone (*cough*) wrote
"But how will you know?" on the bottom. The next day someone else had
added "That's not the point, you moral reprobate". (Quite a few of us
spotted that it was cheaper to pay 3-4 years of weekly overdue book
fines than actually buy the books)

FWIW, when I put the radio on tonight I got the tail end of something
about a student last century who noticed that while he wasn't allowed
a car in the city, the rules said nothing about aeroplanes.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK