Old July 30th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default New KXSP sub surface station

Dave Plumb wrote:
The walk from the new ticket hall towards old going up to surface level
puts you in conflict with those coming from the old ticket hall towards the
new one.

In addition to all your very valid comments, the signs are pretty awful
too. Plenty of people get confused coming in from the street level, not
realising you go down the stairs on the immediate left and round to get
to the gates. Okay, it IS obvious when you know but clearly not obvious
enough for those that don't, with people walking down to a closed off
section, to double back on the steps they DO see. Coming out of the
gates to go up to street level isn't any clearer if you want to go to
St Pancras (or platforms 9-11 at Kings Cross) so you'll probably walk
through and either battle your way through those wanting the other
underground lines, or come out at the front of Kings Cross and have to
walk back for StP, or through all the people in the entrance of KX!

Also, I hate to repeat myself because I got slaughtered last time, but
the gates are slow and fail regularly. In the end, staff will often
open them up to clear the queues in both directions. For such new
equipment, their acceptance level of paper tickets and oyster cards is
terrible. The only advantage is the increased number of gates that can
be fitted in, but the lack of speed must more than cancel this benefit
out. I live in hope that a few subtle changes can fix these issues, and
will be carried out in due course.

Jonathan