Old July 31st 06, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default New KXSP sub surface station

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Dave Plumb wrote:
The walk from the new ticket hall towards old going up to surface level
puts you in conflict with those coming from the old ticket hall towards the
new one.

In addition to all your very valid comments, the signs are pretty awful
too. Plenty of people get confused coming in from the street level, not
realising you go down the stairs on the immediate left and round to get
to the gates. Okay, it IS obvious when you know but clearly not obvious
enough for those that don't, with people walking down to a closed off
section, to double back on the steps they DO see. Coming out of the
gates to go up to street level isn't any clearer if you want to go to
St Pancras (or platforms 9-11 at Kings Cross) so you'll probably walk
through and either battle your way through those wanting the other
underground lines, or come out at the front of Kings Cross and have to
walk back for StP, or through all the people in the entrance of KX!

(snip)

It seems particularly bad now that the bottom part of Pancras Road is
shut. The signs to St Pancras hadn't been covered up and were pointing
the wrong way - the current route seems to be up the steps to the front
of King's Cross, then round to the left and a rather tortuous set of
routes through the building site. (Of course, then there's the added
hassle of needing to walk all the way under St Pancras to the new MML
platforms.)

As a semi-regular KXSP user, I like to think I'd be able to help some of
the bewildered groups of tourists standing around wondering where on
earth they should be going, but I generally only just have a clue
myself. The signage better be good when the Northern ticket hall is in
place, otherwise it'll be labyrinth chaos! I wonder whether
Barbican-style lines-on-the-floor might be a good idea.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7