Old July 31st 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Rupert Candy Rupert Candy is offline

Default DLR track gauge

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

In message om, Rupert
Candy writes

...though the side-contact third rail system might not go down too well
in Piccadilly Gardens...

(Actually, I believe the original DLR stock which was sold on to Essen
has had pantographs installed without too much trouble, so I'm just
being facetious.)

It has indeed, and been fitted with 'proper' driving cabs and was
spotted a few months ago being driven down real streets on the U17.

I didn't know they did on-street running. Does that line have high
platforms, then? (Dragging us back on topic, that shows that the DLR
could, given pantographs, cope with street running extensions...)