Old July 31st 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Peter Frimberley wrote:
I have to say that you either live in an area where car drivers are
spectacularly well behaved, or you're rather naive.

I don't know any area where drivers are spectacularly well behaved, but
your example isn't common - although I will say that I have noticed
similar behavior near Earls Court and wonder if it's worse in that part
of town? If so, what causes it? Yes cars and vans jump lights
everywhere (and so do bendy buses, despite the fact they're so long
they're guaranteed to cause disruption) but ten seconds after? THAT is
spectacular, and you wouldn't even expect that in places like Tottenham
or Hackney!

One suggestion is the congestion that means some junctions can take
forever to negotiate unless you jump, or creep through, lights. And
when lots of lanes merge down, that also creates problems (as indeed,
when motorists drive down the wrong lane to cut in and jump the queue).
Bad road design plays a part here, and only real police can deal with
that sort of thing.

The answer is not number plates on bikes so that cameras can pick them
up, it is to return real human police officers to the road and
properly police both cyclists and cars.

Exactly as I said too. I hope common sense prevails.

Regards,

Jonathan