Old July 31st 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Neil Williams wrote:
I'd personally far rather see more police on the streets to catch them.
In my opinion, almost-Orwellian surveillance is not the answer.

I'd be for registration if it was workable and enforceable. However,
living in the real world it's clear it wouldn't be. So, the quicker the
idea is dropped the better.

The powers that be don't seem to want to officially disclose what the
number of false/cloned plates in use to avoid parking tickets, CC,
speeding fines is, but it IS significant I have no doubt*. In
Stockholm, where I am now, it's suddenly become a massive problem that
didn't exist before (since their introduction of a congestion charge
enforced by number plate cameras) and has been reported as such,
presumably because it's officially still on trial.

This would simply happen with bikes and you can't seriously imagine a
load of people being employed to try and trace the offending cyclists!

Jonathan

* There's another problem too; those that ARE caught can use the cloned
plate argument as a defence. Either way, a police officer catching you
on the street does away with this and possibly gets the offender for
other things too.