Old August 2nd 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bigguy Bigguy is offline

Default DLR track gauge

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...

Andrew Robert Breen wrote:

In article . com,
Mizter T wrote:
Andrew Robert Breen wrote:

In article . com,
Mizter T wrote:
Andrew Robert Breen wrote:

See above. OTOH, no-one has started building a new network from
scratch
at less than standard gauge for a long time: not since Big Mistake
One,
IIRC.

I'll be the mug who volunteers to look stupid and ask which railway
is
the "Big Mistake One"?

Sorry. An it's an accepted convention in some groups, but not (yet!)
universal in this 'un. Big Mistake One = 1914-1918, the Great War, the
First World War and other less descriptive titles. Of course, the
First

I'll not make that interpretational mistake again, thanks for the
explaination. I'm guessing that "Big Mistake Two" isn't a phrase that's
in common use.

It's common enough in some groups. Big Mistake Three, OTOH, is not
(yet) in mainstream use, though it's possible to see that it might
be required in time

I see. I kind of presumed that 'Big Mistake One' referred, in part at
least, to the spectacular ineptitude of some of our marvellous
generals, the horrendous nature of trench conflict, and the potentially
preventable nature of said war. When it comes to the second war then
most wouldn't regard it as a mistake to have fought 'the good fight'
against fascism, though of course again it would've been preferable if
the world hadn't ended up in that situation in the first place.

Surely big mistake 2 was big mistake 1 continued being that it was
inevitable that play would resume after the conditions imposed by the
victors (or lesser loosers) after big mistake 1