Old August 2nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Can I use Oyster pre pay before 9:30?

Robin Mayes wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Slight change of topic - were there ever any plans for such a minimum
charge across the Tube network, so as to encourage people to touch-out
and pay the correct fare?

There are plans for a higher minimum fare to be implemented, yes, although
the date is not set in stone yet.

Out of interest do you have a source for that?

For these purposes I'll call the £5 'minimum fare' which occurs when a
user only touches in or out a penalty.

Omplementing a penalty for those who don't touch-in and touch-out would
add integrity to the Oyster system, though of course it could cause an
element of confusion amongst those passengers who are unwittingly doing
the wrong thing (forgetting to touch out, unable to find the Oyster
reader to touch-out etc).

Once Pre-Pay is implemented across National Rail in London then it'd be
far more open to abuse (i.e. not touching in or out) given the lack of
gates at most stations - so I wonder if such a penalty might go system
wide by then.

The other side of the coin is my wariness of the ability of NR station
ticket offices would properly deal with Oyster problems, such as those
wanted to query the £5 penalty.