Old August 4th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Adrian wrote:
Ah, OK. So not a mode of road transport, then. Merely a frivolous toy. Not
a great idea to have those mixing with traffic, so better ban 'em from the
public road.

Fine by me. I tend to ride my bike on the pavement or paths anyway when

I can since I don't fancy being a speed bump for an HGV.

Or do you want your bread buttered on both sides? Cake *and* eat it? It's
make your mind up time, y'know.

Its about licensing , not about whether the thing can physically go on
road. I could ride in a shopping trolley down a road , does that make
it a
vehicle that should be licensed?

I just don't happen to think it's a great thing.

And yet you're arguing for a license for bicycles which you well know
people
wouldn't take seriously and would give all sorts of false information
making
the whole thing a waste of money and pointless, and do you seriously
believe
the police will bother to try and find someone if their bike is
registered at
their mates address and their mate denies knowing anything about them?
"Who John Smith? Dunno , never heard of him officer". Just as happens
with
cars where the driver doesn't give a rats arse about insurance or tax.
And
thats if they bother to register it at all.

Have you just parachuted in from the 70s

Don't worry, One of us is fully aware that it's 2006 now...

One of us however doesn't seem to be particularly au fait with
practical
reality and human nature.

B2003