Old August 4th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Boltar ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

Ah, OK. So not a mode of road transport, then. Merely a frivolous
toy. Not a great idea to have those mixing with traffic, so better
ban 'em from the public road.

Fine by me. I tend to ride my bike on the pavement or paths anyway
when I can

ITYF that's already (and quite rightly) illegal, because bicycles are
vehicles.

Still, it's antisocial and inconsiderate ****s like you that give all the
rest of the cyclists a bad name and bring on the potential for
registration. Nice one, mate. Congratulations. I hope you feel very proud.

since I don't fancy being a speed bump for an HGV.

Perhaps you ought to learn how to ride properly? Again, you come up with
another excellent argument _for_ compulsory training and licencing.

Or do you want your bread buttered on both sides? Cake *and* eat it?
It's make your mind up time, y'know.

Its about licensing , not about whether the thing can physically go on
a road. I could ride in a shopping trolley down a road , does that make
it a vehicle?

If it's being used by millions as a mechanical mode of transport, then yes,
it does.

(I've deliberately snipped "that should be licensed" - because that's a
separate issue, and one that inconsiderate antisocial "lycra-lout" cyclists
- just like you - have brought upon themselves and all their compatriots by
proving they cannot be trusted unlicenced.)

I just don't happen to think it's a great thing.

And yet you're arguing for a license for bicycles

Am I?

I'm actually fairly ambivalent about the whole suggestion - and there's no
way on this planet that Ken can work it in isolation. It'd need to be at
LEAST national, more likely EU.

I'm merely pointing out your inconsistency here.
Bikes *are* vehicles. Road traffic law DOES apply to cyclists.
Cyclists flaunting the law *DO* cause a very real risk to pedestrians.
Something *does* need to be done.
Is this the right thing? I dunno.
Is it good that the issue is being raised? Yes.