Old August 5th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Dr Ivan D. Reid Dr Ivan D. Reid is offline

Default Commuting times

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:33:19 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote in :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5245860.stm

"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

10 minutes each way for me, on foot. It was much longer when I
commuted into UCL from New Barnet, especially when I had to wait ages for
a bus at Arnos Grove at night. (Commuting to my second office takes hours
and involves a 90-minute plane flight...)

It's not directly stated, but there's an implication that the
survey was of train passengers only.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN