Old August 5th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Bike number plates mooted

Adrian wrote:
ITYF that's already (and quite rightly) illegal, because bicycles are
vehicles.

Well you believe what you like. If you want to believe they're vehicles
then go ahead if it makes you happy. I'd love to know where your
rather grey dividing line between vehicle and non vehicle is though.

since I don't fancy being a speed bump for an HGV.

Perhaps you ought to learn how to ride properly? Again, you come up with
another excellent argument _for_ compulsory training and licencing.

Quite obviously you've never ridden on any road busier than a quiet
country
lane. If you had you'd know that it doesn't matter how good a cyclist
you are
plenty of vehicles don't know or care you're there and quite happily
cut you
up and even clip you. Ask any cylist whos ridden further than to the
bottom
of his street. I could spend 2 years in your mythical training camp,
I'd still
chose to ride on the pavement when I can instead of risking my life on
road. If you don't like it thats your problem, I don't give a damn what
you
or anyone else thinks.

If it's being used by millions as a mechanical mode of transport, then yes,
it does.

Ah , so your definition of a vehicle is how its used, not what it is?
So if buy a
car but never use it then its no longer a vehicle? Conversely if lots
of people
used space hoppers to get to work they'd magically become a vehicle?
Hmm , interesting. By that logic then I guess you must consider all
oral drugs
to be food since lots of people take them and they're digested. Why
should
it matter if it hasn't got any nutrients, you don't care that a bike
doesn't
have an engine right?

(I've deliberately snipped "that should be licensed" - because that's a
separate issue, and one that inconsiderate antisocial "lycra-lout" cyclists
- just like you - have brought upon themselves and all their compatriots by
proving they cannot be trusted unlicenced.)

Don't wear lycra. Sorry to shatter your fantasy.

Bikes *are* vehicles. Road traffic law DOES apply to cyclists.

Road law applying to cyclists and licensing them are 2 entirely
different arguments.

Cyclists flaunting the law *DO* cause a very real risk to pedestrians.

No , cyslists riding at pedestrians and not stopping is dangerous.

B2003