Old August 5th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve M Steve M is offline

Default Commuting times

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 10:16:00 +0100, Steve M
wrote:

Around 100 minutes a day for me: 50 each way Norbiton - St James's Park
and back, including a walk, 2 trains and one Tube.

I'm surprised you don't go through to Vauxhall and get a 87 or 88 bus up
to Whitehall / Parliament Square (87) or Great Smith St / Marsham Street
(88). I'm guessing you change at Clapham Junction to Victoria and then
battle on to the District Line.

I've tried every possible combination and the Victoria route actually
works out quickest. 9 times out of 10, the following happens:

SWT arrival at CLJ: 0 mins
Southern departure from CLJ plat 12/14: (at the latest) 2 mins
Southern arrival at Victoria: 10 mins
Quick walk to District Line platforms
District Line train leaves: 14 mins
Through barriers at SJP and into office: 16 mins

Going via Vauxhall:

SWT arrival at CLJ: 0 mins
SWT departure from CLJ: 1 min
SWT arrival at Vauxhall: 7 mins
Quick walk to bus station
Bus leaves: 12 mins
Bus arrives: 20 mins
Walk to SJP and into office: 24 mins

The former works for me as it really does work, and the trains come at
pretty much the same time every day (almost to the second). I get really
frustrated when having to depend on the bus as with frequent services,
they never come at the same time each day and the journey time is
dependant on variable traffic conditions, slow boarding passengers etc.

The former also means I can usually wangle an extra 15 mins in bed,
although working above the station at SJP also helps!

Cheers

Steve M