Old October 1st 03, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Night Buses, Workmans Tickets (history question)

"Rizla Ranger UK" wrote in message
om...

During this period, what were 'Workmans Tickets'?
I've heard this was a special pricing system for
workers in the Docks etc. How did this work?

Were there a list of prescribed occupations which
qualified for 'workmans ticket' and if so, how did
you prove you qualified?

How much below the standard fare did this price fall?

When was the 'workmans ticket' introduced and when did it stop?

Regarding the above, typically workmen's tickets were issued before 08:00,
and were half-price, IIRC. I took a train back in about 1947, from Ludlow to
Worcester, and we travelled on Workmen's tickets. As I was only about 14 at
the time, it just required one to leave before 08:00. No other qualification
required.

They had been available for a very long time, but I don't know when they
ceased. That was on the GWR still, I fancy. Presumably the same rules
applied elsewhere. Regarding buses, all the workmen's services I know of
charged normal fares.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org