Old August 10th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default reliability of NNL and district line richmond branch

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:28:00 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:10:29 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald
] wrote:

In message .com,
Mizter T writes
If Earls Court had modern dot-matrix ETA displays ('train
describers' in LU parlance I believe) that listed the next five
or so trains then one could of course make an educated decision
with regards to this option - but of course Earls Court offers no
such luxury.

[...]

Isn't the existing TD at ECT listed?

Yes I understand this is the case.

But does that mean that LU must use it? Couldn't it be moved to
London's Transport Museum? It may have been high-tech when it was
installed, and it's worth preserving somewhere for that reason, but it
doesn't meet customer expectations or requirements these days.

This is not what matters to those people who list buildings or features.
It is deemed to be part of the buildings as far as I know and therefore
has to remain in situ.

I would guess (I certainly don't know) that the listing provisions are
such that electronic displays are not permitted in the vicinity of the
old displays. Given that Earls Court platforms are quite "busy" in
terms of signs and buildings and stairways / lifts there may be very few
options in terms of where new displays could be positioned.

One thing that has set me wondering is that there are the new mobility
impaired lifts and walkways that can hardly be described as "in keeping"
with the remainder of the station so maybe the station is not listed.

Hmmm - I may make some enquiries to see if Metronet are planning to put
in new electronic displays as required under the contract or whether
there is a problem.

(By the way, I heard someone the other day explaining to his wife on the
westbound District at Earl's Court that because their destination (West
Kensington) was on the left-hand branch of the schematic line diagram on
the platform (which had Earl's Court at the top and the lines running
downwards), the train on that side of the island platform must be going
to West Kensington. Logical in a way. Fortunately I was able to
prevent them boarding the Wimbledon train.)

Well that's one way to interpret a diagram I suppose. However it's hard
to understand when you already have a familiarity with how something
like Underground signage works.

--
Paul C