Old August 10th 06, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default reliability of NNL and district line richmond branch

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:28:00 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:10:29 +0100, Steve Fitzgerald
] wrote:

In message
.com, Mizter
T writes
If Earls Court had modern dot-matrix ETA displays ('train
describers' in LU parlance I believe) that listed the next five
or so trains then one could of course make an educated decision
with regards to this option - but of course Earls Court offers
no such luxury.

[...]

Isn't the existing TD at ECT listed?

Yes I understand this is the case.

But does that mean that LU must use it? Couldn't it be moved to
London's Transport Museum? It may have been high-tech when it was
installed, and it's worth preserving somewhere for that reason,
but it doesn't meet customer expectations or requirements these
days.

This is not what matters to those people who list buildings or
features. It is deemed to be part of the buildings as far as I know
and therefore has to remain in situ.

Up to a point, but there is a case for removing it if it detracts from
the effectiveness of the building. A case in point is the tiling at
Great Portland Street (see other thread), the replacement of which was
supported by English Heritage before being blocked by councillors,
partly because LU/Metronet jumped the gun.

I would guess (I certainly don't know) that the listing provisions
are such that electronic displays are not permitted in the vicinity
of the old displays. Given that Earls Court platforms are quite
"busy" in terms of signs and buildings and stairways / lifts there
may be very few options in terms of where new displays could be
positioned.

One thing that has set me wondering is that there are the new
mobility impaired lifts and walkways that can hardly be described
as "in keeping" with the remainder of the station so maybe the
station is not listed.

It is listed Grade II. (See
http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/Planning/scri...4/1%2052/1#top )
One has rather more freedom with Grade II to change things, though even
with a Grade I building like St Pancras Station, massive changes can be
approved. You are right about the walkways and lifts, which could be
said to impair the view of the TDs -- a good precedent!

--
Richard J.