Old August 10th 06, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default reliability of NNL and district line richmond branch

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

But does that mean that LU must use it? Couldn't it be moved to
London's Transport Museum? It may have been high-tech when it was
installed, and it's worth preserving somewhere for that reason,
but it doesn't meet customer expectations or requirements these
days.

This is not what matters to those people who list buildings or
features. It is deemed to be part of the buildings as far as I know and
therefore has to remain in situ.

But it is not immutable, as the other recent changes to Earl's Court
evidence. It's high time LUL took the bull by the horns and came up with
acceptable modern displays.

I would guess (I certainly don't know) that the listing provisions
are such that electronic displays are not permitted in the vicinity of
the old displays. Given that Earls Court platforms are quite "busy" in
terms of signs and buildings and stairways / lifts there may be
very few options in terms of where new displays could be positioned.

One thing that has set me wondering is that there are the new
mobility impaired lifts and walkways that can hardly be described as
"in keeping" with the remainder of the station so maybe the station is
not listed.

A listed building can be altered. A number of changes to the Cambridge
Guildhall (vintage 1938 and listed Grade 2) have been made to bring it
into line with modern safety legislation, for example.

Hmmm - I may make some enquiries to see if Metronet are planning to
put in new electronic displays as required under the contract or whether
there is a problem.

Time they got a move on. Whenever I've had an extended wait at Earl's
Court I don't recall any announcements.

--
Colin Rosenstiel