Old August 11th 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Nick is offline

Default Travel card month card cheaper than Oyster ?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I loved my Oyster card, until today, where I found out that I pay
£145.20 for 5-zone my month card, where I can get the exact same card
(though a paper card with magnetic strip) from national Rail for
£137.95.

What kind of crap is that ?

Yeah, the old 5% discount if you buy from your rail station? I've told
friends of mine who started buying their travelcards online from oyster.com
that they're losing their 5% discount so they've gone back to paper tickets
and now save money. I see increasing numbers of people using Oysters at my
station as well (Bexley) who must also be losing their discount.

Note the TfL adverts never mention "rail" (always Bus, Tuber, DLR, tram
etc), but of course most people will assume Oyster's cheaper for rail as
well when it's not...

Side note: I guess when NR stations in the travelcard zones get Oyster
machines we may finally get discounted season tickets on Oyster? Oh yeah,
but that will probably be coupled with us losing our rail-only season ticket
options because it's "too complicated" to have these different ticket types
(and having passengers not contribute to TfL)... hmmm.

Second side note: Lewisham station (one of very few Southeastern stations)
claims to issue Oysters. Does that mean people in Lewisham can buy Zonal
travelcards with a 5% performance discount on Oyster?

Nick
Bexley, Kent