Old August 12th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Kings Cross Thameslink & "London Terminals"

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:32:05 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:

I am very out of date with the minutiae of TOC ticketing and what their
machines can do but the logical ticket issue to "add on" to your season
ticket (for a cross London via the tube journey) would be London
Terminals to Redhill / Brighton with U1 validity as well. ISTR that BR
(shows how out of date I am) typically would not issue London Terminals
to the requested destination when the ticket could be purchased from
the LU office at the London Terminal station you would arrive at.

AFAIK this is still the case - you can't buy a ticket that *starts*
with a Tube journey[1] from an NR ticket office. You are expected to
buy it from the LU ticket office where you start your journey. This is
despite the fact that (AFAIK) you can't buy things like Saver Returns
(returns valid for more than 1 day) from LU ticket offices, and then
there's the murky issue of to what extent they accept Railcards. I'm
also not sure if they sell tickets to outside the NSE area - so you
could buy a ticket to Oxford Circus at Edinburgh, but not the other
way round (they'd sell you a Z1 single and tell you to rebook at
King's Cross).

[1] By this I mean tickets From U1(23...). [2]

Though if you buy a return from e.g. Brighton to U1, the return part
will be printed "From U1 To Brighton", which you can't get as a single
or outward part.

[2] To be pedantic, you could sometimes start with a Tube journey on
an NR ticket due to interavailability, e.g. London Terminals to
Shenfield ticket using the Tube from Liverpool Street to Stratford
then changing to NR.