Old August 13th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Suggestion for easing Oxford Street traffic nightmare.

d wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
Haveing jsut spent the best part of a Saturday (I know I shouldn't but
need's must) doing Oxford Street and witnessing the nightmare of buses and
traffic I have a posssible solution.

(snip)
How about just stopping unnecessary road traffic? There are many
nearly-empty cars on that road which take up far more space than buses.
Also, if the cars were reduced, then the buses would work more efficiently.

Private traffic is already banned from Oxford Street during the daytime
on Mondays to Saturdays. There may be a case for extending the ban to
Sundays, but other than that, the problem really is too many buses and
taxis. AIUI there are about 200 buses per hour per direction, depending
on which bit of the street and what time of day it is.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7