Old August 15th 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Paul Corfield wrote:

(OP snipped)

I have been held hostage on one of my local routes (run by Arriva) when
a diversion was in place. I was absolutely furious because I had done
what the official London Buses posters had told me to - get off the tube
one stop early and catch a diverted bus.

I immediately rang London Buses, once I was released from my mobile
prison, to complain. The LB representative called Arriva Buses and had a
radio instruction issued to remind drivers of the ruling. On planned
diversions - as yours was because it was advertised on the TfL website
in advance - then drivers MUST stop at all stops. The driver in your
case was wrong. When an unplanned diversion arises - e.g. police close
the road - then drivers do not have to stop at all stops on the
diversion but most will be sensible if people wish to alight to continue
their journeys on foot.

I also wrote to Arriva to ask about how they disseminated information
about diversions to their drivers as it was evident that Arriva had not
done what they were supposed to do while First and Stagecoach buses that
were diverted did stop when requested to do so.

I suggest you complain immediately to London Buses Customer Services.
Given the large volume of planned diversions on bus and tube services at
weekends it is essential that the rules are followed properly at all
times otherwise the transport service will descend into more chaos.
--
Paul C

Thanks for the info - I've always been a bit confused about what
happens during bus diversions, it always seemed a bit random (to me)
whether the bus stops or not. Now I know that buses on planned
diversions should stop at intermediate bus stops on request.

It'd be great if drivers could give an announcement over the PA system
- if available - before a diversion occurs. I've found myself on number
12's going south the two past weekends which have had a short diversion
over Lambeth Bridge instead of Waterloo Bridge (closed for roadworks
southbound only). A wave of confusion sweeps across the bus when this
happens (it's interesting to watch people's faces!) and I find myself
explaining to nearby fellow passengers that it's just a diversion. I
guess the fact they might be mildly intoxicated doesn't necessarily
help!

I also find that in a traffic jam or during a diversion a driver will
often open the front door for you if you ask politely and - crucially -
only ask when it is safe and sensible for someone to jump out the front
i.e. the traffic jam isn't about to start moving, the lights aren't
about to go green, the bus is fairly near the kerb, there isn't a
plethora of bicyclists/motorcyclists coming up on the inside etc. I
guess it also helps that I look like I will jump out quickly rather
than take loads of time getting out the door.