Old August 15th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Not being let off the bus - this cant be correct?

Paul Corfield wrote:

I immediately rang London Buses, once I was released from my mobile
prison, to complain. The LB representative called Arriva Buses and
had a radio instruction issued to remind drivers of the ruling. On
planned diversions - as yours was because it was advertised on the
TfL website in advance - then drivers MUST stop at all stops. The
driver in your case was wrong.

Interesting. Is that a Central London thing? Slightly OT but still relevant
in that it affects Arriva Buses: the X15 service between Milton Keynes and
Aylesbury went over to double-deck buses a few months ago. However, on
leaving Leighton Buzzard there is a low bridge under the West Coast Main
Line railway which is physically high enough for double-deck buses but
requires some paperwork alterations to alter the current height limit to
legally allow them (according to Arriva, anyway, and I've seen empty buses
go through - so, logically, a loaded bus which sits lower ought to be able
to get through). Buses are currently diverted as they leave Leighton
Buzzard, skipping three stops on the Wing Road, including the one serving
Leighton Buzzard railway station, which is actually in Linslade - but that's
another story. They pass the end of the station approach road (even closer
than the official stop), then negotiate the housing estates of Linslade
village on existing bus routes (passing even closer to the opposite side of
the station, where there is a public footbridge) and all the stops, before
picking up their original route. This is a planned diversion that has been
advertised and is effective for the foreseeable future. Nevertheless, the
buses are (officially!) *not* permitted to stop at any of the stops on the
diversion - with the result that if you arrive at Leighton Buzzard railway
station with luggage (or not) you now have a half-mile walk in either
direction to reach a point at which you can actually board a bus. This seems
to be the standing instruction to Arriva Buses drivers on this service - but
it contradicts the advice which you quote for London.