Old August 15th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Oyster cards on buses

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:57:15 GMT, "Graham J"
wrote:

I'm just looking at adding an auto top up on my PAYG, but it asks for
which station do I want to use. As I don't have a tube near me, I will
only be using buses. Should I just put a default station e.g. Waterloo?

Except that you can't at Waterloo. There's nothing on the web site to
explain why to I emailed TfL who replied to say that it was to do with
the Waterloo and City closure and some ongoing work on the gates,
IIRC. Irrelevant in your case, but you did mention Waterloo!

Your Oyster card needs to be tweaked so that it is recognised as having auto
top-up enabled. [...[

I decided that Auto Top-Up was so useful that I'd plan ahead a bit and
wait until I needed the underground. I didn't expect the walk to
Southwark, but did find two nice pubs and a street of restaurants (at
Southwark) along the way so it wasn't a waste of time...

[...]
I seem to remember that TfL belatedly realised this is a bit of a stopper
and that you can now order Oyster cards online with the auto top-up already
enabled. So it might be easiest to just get a new one. Unless of course I
was just dreaming that bit.

I ordered mine around the time that the rules changed and you could
top-up on buses. The help pages and the normal text were inconsistent
so I emailed - again - and was told that I'd still have to visit a
station. I *think* this was incorrect advice. Perhaps if you ask
now, they've got their story straight.

Richard.